Thursday, September 4, 2008

Restaurant Review: Bagel World


Prepared to spend the entire day at home doing laundry and other household chores, I grow agitated and decide to head down the block in search of something to do.

As I hit the corner I notice a new coffee shop/eatery. "Hmm... 'Bagel World' eh?" I say to myself, "Let's give it a shot."

Being a huge fan of a nice bagel with cream cheese, I already have my mind made up before I get to the counter, "Toasted poppy seed with cream cheese" I state.

As I wait on my order I overhear a conversation that makes my blood boil, "So then I said to Andrew, 'If you expect me to vacation in Hawaii you have another thing coming!!! It's Europe or nothing!' That got his attention!" Says some over-tanned 40-something in an outrageously large brimmed hat to her cackling horror show of a friend.

I shake off my rage and reach for my bagel, it looks good and I slowly calm down. I reach into my pocket preparing to pay for my cream cheese bagel and can of ginger ale.

"$7. 87" The clerk(and who I assume is the owner) holds out his hand.

"What?" I turn around, believing that he may be talking to someone else.

"Your order comes to $7.87." Flustered, I look to the menu board to see that a toasted bagel retails for $1.50, reasonable, but that same bagel suddenly costs $4.95 with cream cheese. Always a respectful customer I come up with a calm, almost tacit response.

"Are you fuckin' retarded!? That's almost 3 and a half dollars for cream cheese?!"

The owner seeing several people in the line behind decides to play off the situation as a big joke and says aloud, "I guess that means you won't be leaving a tip?" The 2 tanned idiots behind me have a chuckle with the owner and I am suddenly overcome with rage.

"Of course I will leave a tip! I figure this is worth about $1.75!" I laugh as I scrape the cream cheese off the top half of my bagel into the tip jar, "Oh and one more thing. Go fuck yourself!"

"Get outta here, and don't come back!" He shouts after me.

Although the prices were a little over the top, and some of the patrons were self absorbed sluts, I was impressed with the shop's cleanliness, ample indoor seating, and spacious patio. Not to mention the bagel was excellent!

9/10!!!

No comments: